Tuesday 22 September 2009

The Moment

I just received a salutory lesson in living in the moment. The basic premise of this concept is to be entirely focused on the current moment - not lost in the past, not absorbed by planning for the future, but utterly present in the present.

My lesson was learnt because I was heating up my leftover Spaghetti Bolognaise for dinner and instead of paying attention and making sure I had put it down safely on the counter before removing the lid and letting the steam escape, I was thinking about how good it was going to taste, took the lid off too soon, burnt myself and dropped the entire thing on the floor. No recovery.

Result: messy floor, no dinner, burnt arm. All because I wasn't present in the moment. I wonder how much else goes wrong in life simply because one has one's focus in the wrong place.
x
C

No comments:

Post a Comment