Wednesday 3 March 2010

Guess Who's Coming To Dinner...

I have some guests expected this weekend. They're staying from Saturday lunch through to just after Sunday lunch, and we've agreed to go out on Saturday evening (to the famed and illustrious Noodle Bar of old Cov town) so I have three meals and a half meals to plan: lunch, afternoon tea, breakfast, Sunday lunch.

Now normally this wouldn't be much of an issue, but there are some factors to take into consideration.
1- they've stayed several times before, so I don't want to make re-runs
2- I don't want to be running around like a headless chicken, so they have to be 'prepare in advance'.
3- I am on a diet and sticking to it so far, so they have to be healthy options (and it's always harder to make tasty pre-prepared guest food when you can't just throw cheese and cream at it!)
4- We're still on a budget, so have to keep it cheap

Below are my thoughts so far:-

- Fresh bread and spicy sweet potato soup on the Saturday.
- Banana bread for the afternoon tea, because at least it has some nutrients in rather than just straight sugar
- Toast, jams, cereals for breakfast. I can't be bothered to cook anything.
- Chicken, leek and mushroom pie for lunch, with mashed potatoes and carrots. Homemade shortcrust pastry. Chocolate mousse for pudding.

So the shopping list is as follows:
- seeds for bread
- sweet potatoes
- chicken for the pie, I have the vegetables
- check there's enough potatoes.

Good. That's not looking too expensive so far. Especially since an extra guest has been foisted upon me at the last minute, but the less said about that, the better.

No comments:

Post a Comment